This week on On The Media they covered a variety of topics including one debunking the myth about millennials as cultural rebels. This topic really resonated with me because I am a millennial. There are many stereotypes about millennials that are not necessarily true. A few that they mentioned on OTM were millennials are killing the housing market because they'd rather not own a house, millennials are killing the napkin industry because paper towels better suit their lifestyle, and millennials are not buying cereal because they don't like to do dishes. When you examine these stereotypes closer you can definitely see that there is an attempt by news media to prompt people to understand the psyche of millenials. A news consumer hears that information and make a conclusion about the way millenials think based on what they heard. That kind of media framing lends itself to older generations negatively criticizing younger generations. This has been happening for decades we just happen to be living in a time where baby boomers are criticizing millenials. In past decades it was traditionalists criticizing generation x-ers.
There is a social impact as well. I have heard baby boomers carry on entire conversations about how millenials are destroying all the values they hold dear. And they do it because they just want to be rebels. Millennials have legitimate reasons for the decisions they make just like baby boomers have reasons for the decisions they make. Of course these baby boomers would never lump their grandchildren in with those destructive deviants. But those conversations negatively affect the way millennials are perceived in a social context. The narrative about millennials in the news media seems to be that millennials make life decisions based on how they feel in the moment and they hardly ever consider the long-term consequences for their decisions. So the social perception is that they don't buy houses because right now owning a home doesn't suit them. They would rather shy away from that commitment because that suits their lifestyle. That is simply not true there are reasons for millennials not owning homes for example many millenials can't afford a mortgage. And perhaps because of budgeting apps and other technologies they are being more cautious with their money.
These narratives have created a perceived culture that millennials reject everything that past generations built society on. That is simply not true. I am a millennial and I value many social institutions that many people believe millennials have rejected. For example I am married. I grew up wanting to make that commitment and when I moved away from my parents I got married. I know many other millennials in our community that have done the same thing. Another thing is my wife and I own our car. As soon as we could afford it we got a car loan and starting paying off our car. We do not own our home but we have been saving money and building our credit in an effort to become homeowners in the future. My wife and I are not alone in this, there is a countless number of millennials that value these same commitments and institutions.
If we are to continue judging people based on the generation they're born into, I would propose that we consider other factors as well. For example narrowing our scope of judgement by saying millennials of a particular local culture value these things and behave this way. For example I have observed that millennial Utahns are the exception to many of these stereotypes. A large number of millennials from Utah marry in their early 20s or late teens and a large number are home and/or car owners or at least have that as their goal. You could narrow it down even further by considering millennials' religion and the culture built around that. For example mormon millennials in Utah. Because like millennials from Utah could behave differently from other millennials, mormon millenials also could behave differently from other millennials.
I completely agree with your post in rejecting these ideas of the millennials. I too am a millennial and disagree with some of the things things they said. One thing that bothered me was that they said that millennials are killing the housing market. I am very interested in buying a home although I am still in college full-time and working. I came close to buying a home but the offer was rejected for a offer barely better than mine. I know several of my friends have recently bought new homes. This notion that millennials are killing the housing market is ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteAnother statement that bothered me was that we don't buy cereal because we don't want to do dishes. That is absurd, in an article titled " Cereal Sales Trending Up" written in 2015 on the NACS website states that cereal sales took a hit in 2014 but in 2015 the sales took a turn and starting trending upwards. Yes, maybe cereal isn't selling as much as it was during the baby boomers. Could there not be any other reasons for lower sales in cereal? Healthy lifestyles are continuing to spread. Every day I see advertisements on new, healthier products, or friends posting on social media of how products helped them lose weight and gain muscle. Could these not be causes to lower sales in cereal? There are several causes to different problems such as this.
Millennials don't buy cereal because they don't want to do dishes. Millennials are ruining the housing market. These statements among others about millennials are complete generalizations that are wrong from my perspective
James,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your post. Being a millennial, it can be hard to hear podcasts like this and be okay with it. It makes me wonder if the people making these statements were homeowners by the age of 25. Because in my mind, we're not ruining any housing markets, we're trying to save it and not buy a home when we can't afford it.
It's absurd that they would claim that millennials don't buy cereal because of dishes. First off, we're poor ass college kids that have no money. What else are we supposed to eat? Second, isn't that what dishwashers were made for?
It's our mom, grandma, grumpy neighbor, and uncle that are the ones giving millennials a bad wrap. But they were the ones that raised us, so hey, what can we do?