The video post on the class blog brought to light some interesting issues the current education system. One that I thought was particularly interesting was how they compared American K-12 education to a factory, training students to fit a certain mold and punishing those that don't fit. While I don't completely agree with that, I do see that many students that need more help than the current system offers. There is definitely a need for more non-linear learning methods if you will. I really liked the Knewton software that they talked about in the video. It basically designs a ciriculum for each individual, instead of asking every student to conform to learning the same material at the same pace.
A Huffington post article from 2014 written by Sramana Mitra says that our system could benefit from teaching the principles of entrepreneurship more. I full-heartedly agree. Every student studying any subject would be much more prepared to enter the workforce if they not only understand their craft, but also understood the business of the industry they wish to enter. I would also argue that critical thinking is glaringly missing from American high school education. Teaching and compelling students to think critically about the subjects their learning would prepare students for college more than probably anything else. I know I would have benefited from it.
Sources:
James,
ReplyDeleteI also found the comment about the school system being similar to a factory to be really interesting and actually a bit scary-sounding. It makes it sound as though we are just trying to cut out cookie cutter children out of a factory. I don't agree that this is the goal of those running the education system, but I do agree that our education system is a lot easier for certain types of people to do well in. The difficult part is finding a way to help students learn in their own personalized style, but having the time to do that with each and every student.
Back on the factory note though, it did make me think about one thing I read a book on. The book was about entrepreneurship in general and talked a lot about how schools are similar to factories, and that they teach us just one way to think and live our lives. The book further explained that these so called factories not only influence people while they are in the education system, but after as well. We are taught from the time we are in elementary that we need to get an education and a good degree so that we can apply for a good job, be an employee for the rest of our life, and retire when we are 60. All while making money for the big man above us. (The university and the company owners) That plan works out fine for some people, but too many people aren't even considering a lifestyle outside of that. I wouldn't mind if our education system offered a little more information and encouragement to break out of that cookie cutter lifestyle and way of thinking to focus more on entrepreneurship and creating in general. There's no doubt that our education system would benefit from branching out a bit and exploring different ways of thinking. More focus on creativity and individualism would be nice to see.